Thursday, October 9, 2008

Just about tertiary education

Life can bring surprisingly good spring rolls...


This morning, my class was one of the chosen classes to go on a trip to Kelana Jaya for the Education fair. Needless to say, it was fun.

In fact, I met my primary school teacher whom I greatly admire. We were quite close. She was the teacher advisor when I was president of the Environmental Club in Primary 6. We had a chat about our current doings and future prospects as well as my performance in school (that was her part. I was quite embarrassed to tell her.)

Anyway, I went through a lot of colleges and local as well as international institutions. Let's put it this way, I'm confident that I want to major in English and Linguistics and minor in other languages. In order to do that, I would have to pursue a Foundation in Arts or A-Levels or equivalent. Quite a huge leap from the current Science subjects I'm currently taking right now.

After going through so many institutions, I finally narrowed it down to UCSI, Curtin and New Zealand Universities. UCSI offers English and Communication degree (3 years) after undertaking a Foundation in Arts (1 year) at any UCSI campus which is locally situated. Curtin is in Australia. I'm not so sure about going to Australia to further my studies ... it all depends on whether I will be financially able or not. As for New Zealand universities, I could probably snag a scholarship if I am able to ace all of the subjects I am currently taking in SPM (10 subjects). Foundation studies is in New Zealand, but I could take pre-U courses instead (i.e. SAM, A-Levels) if I wanted to.

If that doesn't work out, I might just be able to study Electrical and Electronics Engineering at UNITEN (Universiti Tenaga). If I get very good results, I should be able to secure a scholarship from Tenaga Nasional in some form. When that happens, less financial burden would be placed on my parents. Besides, when I'm a graduat of UNITEN, I would get an opportunity to work with Tenaga Nasional Bhd. or with UNITEN itself.

On another note, I was thinking of setting up an account with SSPN just in case I need to apply for a study loan. I need to go to BSN and apply. An RM 500 minimum savings is a must.

Besides that, I was also thinking of buying a PIN number from my school counsellor to apply for diploma programs after SPM. This is just for back-up purposes only. We can never be too careful.

Now, without futher ado, I shall excuse myself for a long-needed rest and relaxation. Tomorrow is Graduation Day! I'm graduating High School! I can't believe it's already been five years since Primary 6.

Later, I need to drop by the pharmacy to buy things as well as something for my cat's eye.

Ciao.

No comments: